Wednesday 19 November 2008

Jean-Luc Godard Film Club

For the past two mondays, Kathryn, Danielle and I have met up to watch films. For the most part, it is their drawing club - where they can practice sketching and illustration from the films we watch - but it means I get to watch some great films projected on a big screen and sometimes I even join in. So far we have watched the fantastic Je T'Aime John Wayne (a sharp and short parody/critique of Nouvelle Vague style set in London), and two Godard films; Bande a Part and La Chinoise. I'm sure we'll watch other directors, but right now it seems to be the Jean-Luc Godard illustration film club.
Kathryn tells me that it's more difficult than it looks to draw a moving image, but I think both of their attempts manage to succesfully capture what is on the screen - the black and white of Bande a Part as well as the colour of La Chinoise. Anyway, here are some of the impressive drawings that have been done so far:
Belmondo and the kids from Je T'aime John Wayne by Danielle.

Anna Karina & Co. in Bande a Part by Danielle.

Finally, my less impressive attempt at drawing Henri from Godard's La Chinoise.

No comments: